Tuesday 13 May 2014

Dhaveena's Blanket

After my first post , when I told you about the finished library blanket and my plans for the cotton blanket, I realised that I am currently working on two other blankets. There is also a bag full of yarn ready to make into a blanket as soon as one of the ones currently being worked on is finished.

So today I'll tell you about one of the blankets I'm working on. The yarn is Stylecraft Special DK 100% acrylic. I bought a ball each of Pale Rose, Meadow and Spring Marl in my local wool shop. Actually the Spring Marl is Extra Special! At the time I wasn't really sure what I was going to make with it except I knew it would be a crocheted blanket of some sort.
 

From left to right: Meadow, Spring Marl and Pale Rose
I started making small Granny squares - just three rounds each - using a 4mm hook. I joined the squares on the go so that the result looked a bit like gingham. As I was crocheting I thought this would make a lovely blanket for a young girl. Then I decided it would be nice for a work colleague's daughter; a three year old called Dhaveena. Next decision was how big to make the blanket. Single bed size seemed a good idea. There was no way I had enough yarn so I calculated how much more I would need of each colour. Approximately half of the squares will be Spring Marl, a quarter will be Meadow and the other quarter will be Pale Rose.
 
Off I went to my local wool shop to buy the extra yarn I needed only to find that the Spring Marl has been discontinued. I tried umpteen online wool shops but couldn't find it anywhere. Just as I was about to give up and rethink the whole thing, I found somewhere that still had some of the Spring Marl in stock. I ordered plenty just to be sure!
 
Dhaveena's blanket is progressing nicely. I have about a third of the squares done now and I think it looks well. 
 
Dhaveena's blanket


Yarn and blanket

Some day soon I'll show you the other blanket that I'm working on. It's made using hexagons.

I'd love to hear what you think of Dhaveena's blanket. I hope you like it. And, of course, I hope she'll like it too.

2 comments:

  1. So pretty, just like apple blossom. I hate finding a favourite yarn has been discontinued. Glad you found some in the end! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the delay in publishing your comment; I've been on holiday. I'll try and get photos loaded soon and let you see where I've been.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this and I read them all. I will try to reply as soon as possible to any comment that needs a reply.