Thursday 10 July 2014

The Flowerstone

When we honeymooned on the Isle of Skye we visited the Uig Pottery. They have a great selection of unique pottery that is very usable. On that visit we bought a flowerstone in the purple clematis design and have bought quite a few other matching pieces on subsequent visits. Wondering what a flowerstone is? Here's mine before it's annual revamp.


As you can see I like to sit outside on the back steps to tidy up the flowerstone. First I remove all the old lavender, revealing the flowerstone itself.


It's a bit like a rose bowl in the way it works. I keep the lavender dry but you can put fresh flowers in it too and use water.

I picked a punch of lavender and started filling the flowerstone.

 

All I do is fill the holes, starting with the bigger ones, and putting two or three stems of lavender in each. Then I put a stem of lavender in each of the smaller holes until all the holes are filled.



And this is the flowerstone when it was filled with fresh lavender.


There's still plenty of lavender left in the garden if I decide to use any more for other things. Lavender has a lot of uses, even in cooking.


 
I love my flowerstone; it looks nice sitting on the kitchen windowsill and, of course, the lavender smells lovely too.
 
Do you grow lavender and, if so, how do you use it?

3 comments:

  1. I have never heard of a flowerstone before, but I can see why you love yours! It is a bit like tulip bricks that were used oh so many years ago to display your tulips. Your lavender - in the flowerstone and garden - looks wonderful!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I have never heard of a tulip brick! I must try and find out about that. We're going back to Skye later on in the year so might get another flowerstone.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this and I read them all. I will try to reply as soon as possible to any comment that needs a reply.