Wednesday 27 August 2014

Plums and Pasta Sauce

The plums are ready for picking so I made a start with them. It's hard to believe how many there are after there being none last year. I picked these....


... and these ... and then some more and there's still more left to pick. That's a seriously big spider!


The plums are delicious just eaten the way they are. Some have been cut up and added to fruit salad. Some have been stewed and then stored in the freezer. The Aga is fantastic for stewing fruit. Just leave the pot on top of the Aga (not on the hot plates), no need even to add water, and after a couple of hours it is perfectly stewed. Like this ...


The stewed fruit was divided into containers for the freezer. Do you wonder at the amount of things I tell you that I've frozen? There's been a lot recently. We have a small freezer in the kitchen, two other under counter freezers and a small chest freezer. They are now almost full so I need to use things like the frozen blackcurrants to make cordial.


Some of the plums I just halved, poached in a little water and some of our own honey. Then I stored the honeyed plum halves in sterilised jars.


With a label added so I don't forget what's in there.


A lot of the plums made their way into three plum crumbles that are now residing in the freezer to be enjoyed some other time.

As well as dealing with the plums I decided to make pasta sauce using some of our tomatoes. Rather than putting them in the freezer! The tomato sauce recipe I use is Sue's of the lovely Quince Tree blog. It is very easy to make but also very delicious.

I made enough for five jars and our dinner.


There's a crocheted baby blanket almost finished too. I'm working on the border and have reached the stage where I'm not sure if there will be enough of the Rowan Milk Cotton to finish. If there isn't then I'm not sure what I'll do - apart from having a good old weep! I got the yarn years ago so I'm not sure if it is still available. Even if it is, the dye number will be different. Ah well, we'll cross that bridge if we ever come to it.

Best wishes to you all.

12 comments:

  1. What a fabulous way to be able to stew your plums, they retain their shape very well don't they. You are definitely well stocked up now! How great is that. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The plums look good! I love plums, but usually only ever eat fresh! I like the look of the honeyed plums. Will they last for long or are they an 'eat quickly' product?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will keep for months. I've never had any go off!

      Delete
  3. Hello Gillian

    My mouth is watering as I read your post, your plums look so delicious and used in so many ways.T hank you so much for the link to the tomato recipe this is just what I am looking for.

    Good luck with your crochet.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum I love plums, everything you made looks delicious. I was given a big bag of plums a couple of days ago and made Nigel Slater's plum cake with some of them, it's a nice recipe to try.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pictures of your plums. I would like to eat my IPAD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love plums! I think ours are just about ready, our neighbours' are. They don't use theirs but we do. I am going to make some honeyed plums, unfortunately with shop bought honey (you should do mail order honey for your readers!). Thanks for the suggestions Gillian. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've had a good plum harvest this year too, it must be a good year. Although we just keep eating them straight from the tree, none in the freezer yet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gillian,
    I really should know better than look at your latest post last thing at night before going to bed. It is torture, looking at all that delicious food you keep showing!!!!

    But I'm so happy for you that you got all this fresh produce and a way of keeping it, how ideal! I know it must be hard work planting and harvesting, but in the end you can be happy and content! If only we all could manage to live like that! I miss my old garden...

    As for your blanket, a quick google came up with some links that sell some limited quantities of the discontinued Rowan Milk Cotton, otherwise ebay might be useful (you can save a search and it will notify you when it has found a new listing!). Good luck!

    Have a relaxing weekend!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ingrid, I got the baby blanket finished with a little yarn to spare. Thanks for checking where I might be able to get more if I needed it.
      Gillian x

      Delete
  9. I love to read about what goes on in other people's kitchens! The plums, in all their varieties, look and sound wonderful. I still miss the plum tree we used to have in our garden, I do love plums. And I must look into that pasta sauce. There is something so satisfying about stocking up the freezer and pantry for winter. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looked good, plums are also autumn gold.
    It's nice to have some good when winter begins.

    Great pictures, great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this and I read them all. I will try to reply as soon as possible to any comment that needs a reply.